Bulcamp

 
 

“The first of the interesting series of workhouses in Suffolk” according to Pevsner.  Built in 1765/6, partly destroyed in a riot in 1766 and rebuilt.  The site is beautiful, suitable for a stately home as much as a workhouse, but is remote from other buildings and villages although it may not have  been as remote in earlier rural times.


It is currently (2010) almost completely restored and is partly occupied and partly still being converted into living accommodation as “Blythview”.  Due to its tranquil location and leiisure facilities it is more likely to appeal to weekenders and holiday rentals.


Back to index.

Pictures of buildings mentioned in the “Suffolk” volume of “The Buildings of England” series by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner.