Pictures of buildings mentioned in the second edition “Suffolk” volume of “The Buildings of England” series by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner.

After the churches, Sudbury merits a "perambulation" (three in the third edition). Pevsner starts with: The hub of the town is the church of St. Peter. The town extends from there in all directions, but there is nothing of architectural interest to the NE. To the SW Market Hill slopes gently down. On it bronze statue of Gainsborough who was born at Sudbury."
Stacks Image 5
There then follows a series of buildings in the vicinity, some of which are noted below:
Stacks Image 34
2 King St
Stacks Image 38
Blackboy Hotel
Stacks Image 30
Lloyds Bank
Stacks Image 56
Institute Club
Stacks Image 32
Town Hall
Stacks Image 40
Corner (before) Weavers Lane
Stacks Image 36
Westminster Bank
Stacks Image 54
Corn Exchange
In Gainsborough Street the only memorable house is No 46 where Gainsborough was born. The family bought the house in 1725, and that must be about the date of the new building. Red brick (only headers) and rubbed red brick trim. Five bays, two storeys, parapet. Segment headed windows. Doorway with Doric pilasters and straight entablature. Seen here:
Stacks Image 64
On to Stour Street with "Several attractive timber-framed houses (e.g. St. Mary's with an C18 doorway)". As seen here:
Stacks Image 68
"the climax comes - with The Chantry and Salter's Hall, side by side. The Chantry is of the C15 and has a good corner post, carved with the figure of an angel, and thin buttress shafts." As here:
Stacks Image 74
"Salter's Hall is yet finer. Built c1450, buttress shafts and a pretty oriel on a carved soffit with a man and some animals, windows with delightfully delicate tracery. Seen below:
Stacks Image 76
Stacks Image 84
"Stour House, opposite, is later and also good." (Now Cleve Hall) Seen here:
Stacks Image 86
On then to Cross Street with the so called Old Moot Hall (the Moot Hall was in fact in Market Hill). This is another C15 house. Big gable on the l. with oversailing first floor below it. Handsome oriel window. Some original doorways." Seen here:
Stacks Image 90
"Into Friar Street. Here on the r. some scanty and reused remains of the Blackfriars, the Dominican Priory founded before 1248. Archway and doorway of timber, probably from the gatehouse. Then several nice timber-framed (e.g. No 17) and Georgian houses (not the doorways of Nos 58 and 31)." A rare misprint for "note". Some of these follow:
Stacks Image 99
17 Friars Street.
Stacks Image 105
31 Friars Street.
Stacks Image 97
Reused remains of the Priory - archway and doorway of timber, probably from the Priory gatehouse.
Stacks Image 107
58 Friars Street.
"down Bullock's Lane to the r. the Red House, the stateliest Georgian house in Sudbury: five bays, but a very wide centre with Venetian window (later widened) and pedimented gable." At this point Pevsner returned to Market Hill followed by a diversion to Ballingdon Hall. The third edition devotes the entire third "perambulation" to the hamlet of Ballingdon. The Red House is shown below:
Stacks Image 116